Tuesday, December 11, 2007

new films

I saw The Golden Compass. I must confess, I am not familiar with Pullman's trilogy, so my review may not be terribly well-informed. But for what it's worth, it's over at Witchvox. I have been finding the whole right-wing brouhaha over this movie to be ridiculous, and I suppose now that reviews are coming in and they're less than ecstatic, maybe the fundie catholics protesting it are feeling smug and satisfied. I'm not sure how one forces an atheist agenda in a movie about kids and polar bears (which is really what this has ended up being), but I think anyone can be convinced of anything if they're gullible.

I also saw the new Tim Burton film, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Since that does not open until Christmas I can't do a full review just yet...but I will say it was wonderful. And do NOT bring the kids! (It's rated R so if you bring the kids it will be your fault if they have nightmares). More soon.

Also saw the new documentary about David Lynch, Lynch (one) which I recommend very highly, if you're a David Lynch fan. It's only playing in limited release at arthouse type theatres. In Boston it's playing on a double bill with a newly-restored print of Eraserhead. This film is not credited to any one director and is rumored to perhaps be helmed by Lynch himself. It's surreal and hard to follow and completely mesmerizing, much like Inland Empire, the film whose creation it documents. It's shot in digital video and screened that way, too. Fortunately the Brattle has a great video projection system.

1 comment:

The Ginger Darlings said...

I loved the Philip Pullman film. I have no tv so have not been inundated with the crits and all the fuss about anti-religion. The film was visualy beautiful, incomprehensible unless you had read the book, missing all the character development that lives and shines in books one and two, the witches are stunning but no where near as stunning as they are in the books and the alethiometer is a must for every Christmas stocking.
With todays media and spin we could all do with a compass that shows us the truth.
Oh, and I loved the bears and the hares too.
Altogether "not as bad as it could have been" was our family verdict.