Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hail, Anthony Minghella!


I was shocked to learn he died. Only 54 years old, from complications after a simple surgery. Only ten years older than me. A harrowing thought.

This is very sad. He was such an amazing filmmaker. I love Truly, Madly, Deeply (pictured here), and The English Patient, and The Talented Mr. Ripley, and even Breaking and Entering. I have only seen part of Cold Mountain but I did like it a lot and want to watch the whole thing again soon. He was a master of making lush classical-looking cinema that often included unexpected images and tense, uncomfortable moments, as if challenging our definition of what big-budget art cinema should look and feel like...

He accomplished so much in his 54 years. The world of cinema is a richer place with him in it. And now many cinephiles may well wonder what other works of beauty and passion and sadness he might have wrought had he been given more time. Rest well, sir.

No comments: